|Главная Случайная страница Контакты | Мы поможем в написании вашей работы!|
1. Facial characteristics/ features (pl) - the face as a whole
2. An individual (n), [C]a person considered separately rather than part of a group:
E.gthe basic rights of an individual
3. (a) personality: 1) [C,U] the various aspects of a person’s character that combine to make themdifferent from other people:
e.g. a woman with a strong personality
2). [U] the qualities of a person’s character that make them interesting and attractive.
e.g. We need someone with lots of personality
3). [C] a famous person ( syn.: a celebrity):
e.g..the personality from the world of music
4. Nature: [C,U]the usual way that a person or an animal behaves that is a part of their character:
e.g. She is a dreamer by nature. Human nature is complicated.
It is the nature of a dog to bark.
5. Temperament [C,U] 1)a person’s or an animal’s nature as shown in the way they behave orreact to the situations or people.
e.g. an artistic temperament
2) [U] the tendency to get emotional and excited very easily and behave in an unreasonableway.
e.g. to give displays of temperament
6. Manner [ sing.] the way that sb behaves and speaks towards other people.
e.g. I don’t like his manner.
His manner was polite but cool.
7. Manners [pl.]behavior that is considered socially correct in a particular society or culture:
E.g. good/bad manners
8. to denote ( v) (fml)1).to be a sign of ; to be the name of:
e.g. The red triangle usually denotes danger.
e.g. A high temperature denotes illness.
9. to suggest(v) 1).put forward for consideration as a possibility :
e.g. I suggested a visit / going / that we should go to the theatre
2). Bring an idea or a possibility into the mind:
e.g. The symptoms suggest minor heart attack.
10. to indicate(v)Point to; make known; be a sign of:
e.g. He indicated that the interview was over.
A red sky at night often indicates good weather.
3. To represent (v) 1).Be, give, make, a picture, sign, symbol or example of:
e.g.Phonetic symbols represent sounds.
2).Declare to be:
e.g. He represents himself as an expert.
3). Explain, make clear:
e.g. Let me try to represent my ideas in a different way.
12. to signify (v) (fml) 1).Make known; be a sign of; mean:
e.g. Does a high forehead signify intelligence?
2). Be of importance
e.g. It signifies little.
1.Transcribe and translate the given words:
2. Give the English equivalents for the following Russian words:
Трусость, самообладание, ревнивый, верный, восприимчивый, сообразительный
4. Define the meaning of each of the lexical units:
gentle, intelligent, cowardly, cunning, loyal
5. In the text find as many verbs as you can that correspond to the following definition:
“ To be a sign of sth, to show that sth is possible or likely; to point to “